This volume goes behind the scenes to reveal the history and metamorphosis of the Hôtel de la Marine, a treasure of Parisian heritage. The Hôtel de la Marine, an exemplary monument on Paris’s Place de la Concorde, is a superb architectural achievement constructed in the 18th century by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, the official architect of King Louis XV.
The institution it housed was charged with choosing, purchasing, and maintaining all of the king’s furniture – from beds to the simplest chair – and the crown’s treasures were stored here until 1789, after which it became the site of the Ministry of the Navy for more than 200 years.
An extensive four-year restoration was completed last year and, now open to the public, it features a museum, apartments that highlight the tastes of the 18th and 19th centuries and an exhibition hall.
In this beautiful volume, previously unpublished photography captures its splendour.
The French Royal Wardrobe: The Hôtel de la Marine Restored, by Gabriel Bauret and Jérôme Hanover, published by Flammarion
Available for purchase here on Amazon.
From France Today magazine
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *